Monday, October 18, 2010

My Kitchen on an almost $0 budget: Before and After





First of all let me warn you: these pictures are all crappy. They were all taken with one phone or another. I had a camera that I hated. Then my son dropped it and I realized I didn't hate it that bad. Its just not in the budget to get a new one right now :)



This is one of the only 'before' pictures I could locate. Hence, princess party. Notice how dark it was.

I. hated. it.



Here is our neighbor Roberto. He is a professional painter and was kind enough to help us out with this transformation. He said if we did the prep work he would spray everything for us. Very nice. Sounds quick doesn't it? Our budget was, um, $0. So we did this on a budget of only supplies and time. Lots and lots of time.
We had to take everything out of every drawer and cupboard.

Tape and paper everything that wasn't going to be painted.
My husband also sanded everything between each coat. 1 coat of primer and I think 3 coats of paint. Thank you good husband.

Here is what it looked like with the new white cabinets and green paint on the walls. so much better but I didn't love the green.



Here are some more recent shots with the blue/gray/green paint that I mixed. I love this color!




My island isn't secured to the tile so that is why you can see that I have been moving it around. I am trying to figure out what will flow the best.



Transformation Thursday

18 comments:

Mandy said...

It looks MUCH better and brighter:) I agree, can't stand a dark place! Good job:)

Anonymous said...

White paint does wonders. That was a lot of prep work, no doubt. My least favorite part of painting. Good job... it looks amazing! Nice and bright :)

Sherry said...

We have a similar project ahead of us. Our kitchen cabinets need sanding and painting, new hardware, sink and the list goes on. Your transformation inspires me, we will be paining our cabinets white also. I love the change it made for you.

Jen T said...

That sure is a GOOD husband! It looks great..I like your white dishes on top too! Jen

Cristie said...

It really looks so great. Nice neighbor, Enjoy your new kitchen

Kim Shirley said...

Becky, Your kitchen looks fabulous. I love the white cabinets!

Jen said...

Love the white cabinets!
Great job!

Prairie Scraps said...

I love this, but am so chicken to do this to my own Oak cabinets. After all, just 7 years ago, we paid extra for the oak! I still hate them though & love what you have done! I'm just like that too! I buy things with my birthday money too!

Lisa at Paint in my Hair said...

what a difference! you should post this to the CSI Project this week.

Eileen said...

Looks wonderful! And isnt it nice it only required some hard work. I love love love your dishes up the top of the cabinets. It looks great! I have waited a long long time to get my kitchen done and we are finally starting after the holidays.weeehhhh

nannykim/spindlecottage said...

Love the new results!! Sounds like lots of work!

Connie in Hartwood said...

What a great transformation!! I love how bright and light the white cabinets make your kitchen! (Have you considered spray-painting your hardware?)

Barb@curlywillowdiy said...

Wow, looks great! I love a white kitchen, too. We plan on having ours done but we won't dare tackle this on our own. We've had estimates to have it done professionally for $1900-$2400. Yikes. Won't be happening anytime soon...

Miranda @ Pressing On said...

I love the transformation!! Gorgeous work. I think it all looks great. I just posted on my blog about how great the prices on Ebay are for knobs and pulls. That's where I always get mine...and keep it under $3 each, for oh so cool ones. :)

Michelle said...

I so love a bright kitchen, it looks great!

Angie Holden said...

WOW!! Amazing transformation!!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

wow! Looks really great, I want to do mine so BAD, I see that a paint sprayer is the way to go.

Amy said...

Love it! Your before looks a lot like my kitchen and I am thinking about doing the same thing this spring. Only I don't have a professional painter for a neighbor. Darn! I guess I'll have to break out the paint brushes! It really is beautiful!